Writing about the day to day mysteries of life.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Mixellaneous and Nedscapades

Hurt No Living Thing
Hurt no living thing
Ladybird nor butterfly,
Nor moth with dusty wing,
Nor cricket chirping cheerily,
Nor grasshopper, so light of leap,
Nor dancing gnat,
Nor beetle fat,
Nor harmless worms that creep
-Christina Rossetti

I made a video of Ned reciting this poem, and I don't know how to put it on the post.  This poem fits Ned to a tee with his love of nature.  I will truthfully say that he really tries to hurt no living creatures, except me.  I really think he is trying to do me in.

Today he asked if he could swim and I said yes but he had to wait five minutes.  I am not feeling well and wanted to change out of a sweater and pants to sit by the pool.  I came downstairs and could tell he was not in the house, he is usually really good about this.  I went out to the pool and only saw the raft.  Right next to the raft and almost under it I saw this little white head floating in the water.  No movement at all.  I was on the edge just getting ready to dive in when he pops up and shouts out BOO!  I was so mad!  I was so relieved!  I was so mad!  I didn't yell, but really let him have it and made him apologize to me.  When we came in, I explained why that was so wrong.  That kid!


Ellen received a save-the-date package for a Bar Mitzvah in NOV.  It is quite fascinating to book this far in advance.  It makes me wonder how many Bar Mitzvahs she is going to be invited to this year.  The "card" is so much a thirteen year old boy sense of humor.  I have been listening to whoopeeing all afternoon.

When Teri came and stayed with us one time, she did something I would never do in a million years.  I wish she would come again and do the project all over.  She gathered all the un-sharpened pencils and sharpened them.  I am now using pencils with no points, because of course they have not been sharpened since then.  She patiently sat and sharpened pencil after pencil, I need a smidge of this patience, at least enough to sharpen the two dull pencils sitting next me.

The kids and I always discuss what we do if we win the lottery, since we rarely play our odds are even slimmer.  We have been keeping a list and I decided it is truly uninspired.   We need to think bigger.


Lottery List
go to Disneyworld, every conversation starts with this one
new carpet in the family room
give 1/2 to Teri, according to Teri
buy a Volkswagon Beetle
buy a beach house
open a quilt store


I had a True Blood party last Sunday night for the season premier.  I read that five million people watched it.  It is a funny, violent, foul-mouthed, raunchy show.  It is what Twin Peaks would be if it had been made now and on cable.  Here is a picture of dessert and wine.  Notice the bleeding heart plant in the background, Maddy had fun picking that out with me.


Today is a couch day, so this is what I have looked up on the internet. Having all this information at your fingertips is staggering if you really think about it. Not just information, but up-to-date information. Of course I remember very little.  Here is the list:  quolls, numbats, poisonous cane frogs, yapok, Lisa Bonet/Lilakoi Moon, Keren Woodard, Andrew Ridgely, deep-friend pickles, simple syrup, right/wing left wing origination, Dorothy Parker, leopard moths and the Royal Ascot- fascinators, royal weddings.  


Ellen and I were listening to the radio and the host was asking "what do you do first thing in the morning?"  Ellen shouts out, "that is dumb, of course, I open my eyes first."  Well yeah, duh!!

2 comments:

  1. That triffle is awesome! Im assuming your lottery list is not in priority order, or the thrid one down would be first. I forgot about the pencils (image that), and am so glad to hear my fine work is so appreicated. Numbats - are they related to numskulls but with wings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or someone who is both a numskull and a dingbat?

    ReplyDelete