Writing about the day to day mysteries of life.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Weather and time travel

Today is a beautiful spring day, too bad it is January 19th.  It won't be spring for a long time.  I hate winter.  I don't really like to bitch and moan about weather, because it is weather.   There is nothing you can do about it, it just happens.  I try not get my undies in a wad, but, I don't like winter.  I don't like the gray, bare trees.  I don't like being cold.  I don't like everyone being sick and sneezing on me.  I am happy the last two days have been beautiful, but it is just a tease.  I guess I have been whining an inordinate amount, because Ian told me he would buy me a house in Florida when he becomes an NFL player.  Ian doesn't play football.

Ian rides the bus with Matt Stover's kids.  Ian came home in a terrible snit, because the son had told Ian his dad's job is cooler.  The kid was so incredibly right.  I scoffed, not politely snorted and reminded Ian that his dad sits at a desk.  There is no way around the fact that Matt Stover's job is much cooler.  Ian harumphed and said, "But he doesn't even play every game".  That is one pissing match Ian is going to lose.

People seem to be divided into two categories: those who like time travel plots and those who don't.  For a later discussion there seems to be an even split for those who wear underwear to bed and those who don't.   It seems to be about 50/50 as far as I can tell.  I like time travel (no comment on the underwear).  I would love to know first hand about the Celts, Versailles, Venice, Machu Pichu, Egypt and countless other things.  I would need back and forth travel though.  I think it would be great until I wanted a hot shower or french fries from McDonald's.   I often wonder how far back you would need to travel to alter circumstances in your own life.  How far back would I have to go to change my breast cancer diagnosis?  5 years ago to my divorce? 12 year ago to the birth of my first child? Would I have had breast cancer at 33 if I hadn't breast fed?  6th grade when we played in my step-dad's manufacturing facility? Kindergarten when we played on the asbestos building materials left behind from new construction.  Most books that write about time travel say you can't alter events.  I think part of the allure of time travel is to go back to try and make sense, truthfully, I think some shit doesn't make sense.  Not now, not then, not ever.

I have been reading, discussing, thinking about vampires too much lately.  I have been hooked on several series and feel it might be time to move on, easier said than done, I suspect.  I think I may have crossed the "too much" line because last night Ned announced, "my blood tastes like jelly".  He probably is little, warm and tasty (Mouse Count), but my obsession doesn't really have to extend to the kids.  Anyone have any good reads?  Nothing about India!  Ughh, talk about depressing.

College has come up several times in the last couple of days.  My co-worker told me her daughter informed her that, "she is not going to college, she is going to skip it".  One of the twos kept saying he was at college, even though he was on a ski trip.  Ellen decided she is going to the University of Hawaii..........so she can wear a grass skirt!   I can't decide if Ellen has the wrong impression of college, or if as usual, she really does have the right idea.  Sometimes I am not sure what languish my children are speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment