Writing about the day to day mysteries of life.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Quilts and Cookies


I put the finishing stitches on my August quilt, yes I know it is September.  I had the idea in August, but did not get it done.  I finished it up at chemo, my friend Eileen gave me suggestions.  It is cute.


I finally got two quilts mailed off to the longarm quilter who lives in College Place, WA.  She won't be able to work on them for a couple of weeks.  She is busy with the Walla Walla Quilt Fest, so if in that area you should go.  I don't need my quilts until our quilt guild show in March.  I also got the binding attached to two quilts, I am hoping to finish them on my fly fishing weekend.  We will be sitting around in the evenings and the quilts will be the perfect projects.  I have one more to bind, it would be crazy if I got that one finished also.  I haven't gotten very far working on UFO's this year.  I think I may finish "Raven's Tale", but that is it.  I also set a goal (as did my friend Amanda) that we would buy no new fabric until Houston.  I can't wait to see all the vendor boothes-whoohoo!!

Last night Ellen got home from school and asked if we could make cookies.  I told her no, because of chemo/vaccine fatigue.  She tells me that her writing assignment is to do something she has always wanted to do and never done before and then write about it.  She wants to make cookies???  As you all know I love cookies, we make cookies all the time.  Maybe when she is standing there helping, in her head she is doing something else.  I look like the worst kinda mom, the kinda mom that never makes things with their kids.  I have many failings, but that is not one of them.  I asked what the other kids were doing, thinking they might be backpacking, mountain climbing, feeding the homeless.  Her best friend has always wanted to make pizza.  I guess to a twelve year old, the little things really are the big things.

Ian comes in an hour later and says, "mom, you have to make cookies.  I am going to raise money to build a skate park at school and we are going to sell your cookies!"  After dinner I heard Ian on the phone telling his friend that he was going to buy plywood and spray paint first, with the money from the cookies.  How many cookies would Ian have to sell to raise enough for a skate park?  Ian doesn't even do skateboard. Because I am right on top of this, I am lying on the couch blogging about cookies instead of making cookies.   I do wish I had a cookie!
cookie from farmer's market in Madison, WI

No comments:

Post a Comment