Writing about the day to day mysteries of life.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

CARROT LEMON GINGER SOUP

Here is the crack soup recipe.  Anyone who makes it let me know what you think.  I have a batch going right now.  I was short basil, so added a little mint.  I also had some celery so decided to throw it in.

1 large onion chopped
2-3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup butter
8 cups of vegetable broth (approx.)
FRESH ginger to taste ( I add quite a bit, just keep tasting it until it is where you like it)
1-1/2-2lbs of carrots sliced
1-3 tomatoes, chopped
1-3 potatoes, chopped
1/4 cup shredded basil
salt and pepper
1 cup of either creme fraiche/sour cream or plain yogurt.  It works well with any of them.  I use sour cream most often, because I usually have it on hand.
1/4 lemon juice
dash of curry and hot sauce (I use tabasco)

Saute onion and garlic in butter.
Add carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, broth, garlic ginger, basil, lemon, s&p
Bring to a boil and simmer for approx 45 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
Puree in blender in batches and add back into pot.
Add creme fraiche or sour cream or plain yogurt, stir, simmer until hot again. 
Add a dollop of above to soup before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment