Writing about the day to day mysteries of life.

Monday, July 12, 2010

Quilt Weekend and Bird Houses

I spent the weekend quilting at the Mid Appalachian Quilt Symposium.  I had a very enjoyable weekend. This was my third year attending and hope it works for me to go again next year.

Friday I spent the day making a scrap quilt in a "Rags to Riches" class. We all brought in scraps and did an exchange.  I was the last one to choose, so I had no choice and ended up with a lot of dark country style prints, which is totally not my thing, but looked good anyway.

The Friday night speaker was very entertaining this year.  Two years ago the speaker talked about antique pillowcases, it was excrutiating!  This year the speaker showed scrap quilts and discussed all the ways to make scrap quilts. She was a dynamic speaker and it was a good time.  The other good thing about this year is the soft ice cream machine was working.  Last year almost saw a riot when 300 quilters saw a broken ice cream machine, they take their swirl cones very seriously.  The food is very good at the retreat.  I took this picture to torment my kids, they love red velvet cake.

Saturday I spent the day learning a circle technique that I am indifferent to.  I mastered the curves, but don't think I will make another circle quilt.  The teacher of the circle class felt the need to talk incessantly and share every detail of her life.  I fortunately had my iPod to help tune her out.  I did win a door prize in that class.  I won an 8" set of circle rulers, so if anyone wants to make a  circle quilt let me know.  Saturday night was show and tell, I enjoyed seeing all the amazing quilts.

Sunday I took another technique class to make crazy stars.  I enjoyed this class the most.  I didn't have to line up anything and could use little scraps of fabric.  I made my stars with a muted, pastel background, because I am making a gift for someone.  But, I really, really, really liked the stars with a black background that someone else in the class made.

The symposium is held at a catholic college outside of Gettysburg.  At the end of my hall was a giant statue of Jesus with his arms raised.  Sitting outside my door was a yoga ball, it was just too tempting to not do "he's got the whole world in his hands".  The college is loaded with plaques and statues that really made no sense to me.  For example, the statue for the "year of priests, 2007-2010".  In the hallway of the seminarians was a plaque that said "pray for the families", why is this in a hallway with young celibate men?   What is the significance of a grotto?  Chummi Bear visited the grotto and found it quite beautiful, he will be reporting on it later.

Today the kids and I went to see the movie "Despicable Me", it was actually cute, not too overdone.  I was quite surprised how good it was, the minions are clever and make the movie.  We even saw it in 3-D.  I then dragged the kids to the shoe store to buy school shoes.  As we walked along Ellen was singing, "we'll have fun, fun, fun til daddy takes the tv away".  Cracks me up!  I was helping Ellen try on shoes and when I turned around Ned had the ped on his head.

I discovered today that my neighbor put up two birdhouses.  I only just noticed them, the kids said they have been up for a couple of weeks.  I walked over to her yard to see them, the birdhouses are a great addition.  Walking back I saw the most beautiful lily plant that she has planted close to her back patio.  The lily is about three feet high and stunning.  My neighbor has a lovely yard and very generously shares it with us!

1 comment: