Writing about the day to day mysteries of life.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Fun and Times

Fun times had by all for the last five days.  

Wednesday was ice skating - only one injury.
Thursday was Thanksgiving down at Maddy and Campbell's house.  I don't know what the final count was, but somewhere around 24-28 people.  Excellent food and my contribution was the usual sweet potatoes extraordinaire and chocolate pecan pie fantastic.  Ta-da on my November quilt.

Friday the kids and I went with family to the Air and Space Museum.  We went to the big museum out at Dulles airport.  It is wonderful place to spend the day.  I know nothing about airpplanes, but love the colors, shapes and histories. We saw a great experiment showing the pressure of air.  I did not know that astronauts grow three inches in space and then shrink back.  They often have back problems the rest or their lives, it is also why astronauts can't do too many missions. 

I took a picture of different satellites that have orbited, they were so colorful.  Too bad the picture doesn't show the vivid colors, especially the copper.

"A Christmas Carol" was awesome. The ghost of Christmas future was quite scary- great set and costumes.  At intermission Ellen announced (loudly of course), "this isn't like the Muppets."  We got to meet Scrooge after the show.

Saturday we hung out with family, until they all started home.  We headed back to Baltimore and went to Kenilworth for trains and pizza with Uncle Tim.  Each year those trains get more elaborate, more and more buttons to push.

Sunday we met a friend for coffee and then went to the Walters Museum to see the Walter Wick exhibit.  Walter Wick makes the "I Spy" books.  The exhibit showed how he makes them.  I can't even begin to understand how he creates the allusions, my brain does not work that way.   This is the actual model for one of the books, Puss in Boots is really only a few feet from the castle.  It is a wonderful study of scale.  The exhibit also showed some science photos he took, we are going to try this experiment. If you go slowly, a pin will float on the surface of water.

We also went and looked at the knights, the hall of wonders and the mummies.  Down in the basement the kids made board games.  This was a huge hit, I was really surprised how many age groups loved this activity.  Ned made all these little airplanes to go with his game.
Neddy has had a friend over, it has been a lovely Thanksgiving holiday.  I am off to build a fire in the fireplace and watch movies.  Ellen just informed me the Muppet's Christmas Carol is on - whoohoo!

I have one last picture to add.  I finished the white baby quilt, it is not easy to see.  It turned out great and was a nice challenge for me.  I prefer working with color.  Ian's comment was, "maybe next time they could afford to buy fabric with a color."  It is a dandelion blowing in the wind.

A secret to building a good fire.....open the flue.  Good grief!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your adventures and pictures with us. Glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We did too even though we only went across the street.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Udvar-Hazy aviation museum is my father's favorite museum ever. It's his idea of a perfect place to spend a day.

    =Amanda

    ReplyDelete